Legacy Plugin (2011, 2014, 2015) SDK and references install

Hi I am new to the SDL developers community.  I was recently asked to work on a plugin project for legacy SDL Trados and have a few questions:

0.1) Am I posting this in the right forum?

1) The plugin I was asked to work on was an existing plugin which has been abandoned.  While I was able to compile it for the 2014 version by installing the 30 day trial of Trados, is there a nuget package for legacy references?  Or is there any other way to get these dll's other than installing trial versions?

2) Is there a way to properly take over an abandoned plugin and update the version in the AppStore?

3) I can't seem to find any documentation for legacy sdk except in zip format.  Is there an online version?

Thanks for your help, I really do hate being the new guy with too many questions, but I am told my contribution is a pretty important one for translators.

Sam Lombardo (AweSam.Net)

• Dear Sam,

I can only respond to your question 0.1 regarding to the correct forum for this question and I have to say that it is not.

The forum which you currently posted your question in is the forum focus on the API's of the SDL Knowledge Center Product Suite which includes Application/tools like the Content Manager WebClient, Content Manager Publication Manager, Content Manager Authoring Bridge and others.

For the SDL Trados related question I would propose to use the 'Translation Productivity' or the 'Language Developer' forum as they contain more question related to SDL Trados and the AppStore.

I'll ask our Administrator to redirect this question as well to either of those forums so you will get answers on questions 1, 2 and 3 as well.

Kind Regards,

Raf
  • Hi Sam,

Unknown said:
    0.1) Am I posting this in the right forum?

No you weren't, so I moved it.

Unknown said:
    1) The plugin I was asked to work on was an existing plugin which has been abandoned.  While I was able to compile it for the 2014 version by installing the 30 day trial of Trados, is there a nuget package for legacy references?  Or is there any other way to get these dll's other than installing trial versions?

Where did you get the source code?  We have these:

https://sdl.github.io/Sdl-Community/

Unknown said:
    2) Is there a way to properly take over an abandoned plugin and update the version in the AppStore?

Which app?  If it was on the appstore already then you can either ask the developer if you can take it over and we could move it to your account; or you can just submit a new one.

Unknown said:
    3) I can't seem to find any documentation for legacy sdk except in zip format.  Is there an online version?

You mention 2014... so what legacy sdk are you referring to?  This all seems very cryptic!  These are all the things we have:

http://appstore.sdl.com/developers/sdk.html

Regards

Paul

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

• Hi Paul,

Thanks for moving my post and for your reply, you answered a lot of my questions. Sorry if my questions weren't clear, as I mentioned I am totally new to this community and development environment, so I'll try to be clearer:

Where did you get the source code? We have these:

sdl.github.io/.../

So first of all, I am working on the MT Enhanced Provider for Trados Studio 2014, which is an OSS project by Patrick Porter.  On his repository he mentions that SDL now maintains the package, however I see that it only works with Studio 2015 and up.  I've been asked to make it work with Studio 2014, but I think making it work for Studio 2011 would be a nice bonus for any 2011 users lingering around.  In March you replied the following to a thread: https://community.sdl.com/solutions/language/translationproductivity/f/160/p/10735/41083#41083.  

So to answer your question: The source code for the legacy version plugin is here: https://github.com/patrickporter/MT-Enhanced-Trados-Plugin.  What course should I take: To ask Patrick Porter to transfer his repo so that I can maintain it?  Or should I create a pull request against SDL-Community to add support for 2014?  I assumed  (maybe incorrectly) that SDL was not interested in supporting plugins for legacy versions of Trados.

Honestly, being new, I'm just trying to make sure I'm not ignorantly stepping on anyone's toes, I just want to help.  

You mention 2014... so what legacy sdk are you referring to?  This all seems very cryptic!  These are all the things we have:

http://appstore.sdl.com/developers/sdk.html

I've already taken a look at this link and was able to find legacy SDK downloads at: http://appstore.sdl.com/developers/sdk-collection.html.  There I was able to see links to documentation in a zip file for Trados Studio 2011 and 2014, but I was wondering if there was an online version for these legacy SDKs like there is for 2017: https://sdl.github.io/Sdl-Community/

Also thanks for the link to sdl.github.io/.../, it was very helpful:

Getting started

These libraries are built on top of SDL Trados Studio APIs and thus using them also requires having SDL Trados Studio installed.

If you don’t have a licence please send an email to app-signing@sdl.com and ask for a developer licence.

This actually answers my question about installing trial versions :/  I will request a dev license and install these onto my machine.  

Again any help is appreciated, so thanks in advance.  

Sam

• Unknown said:
    To ask Patrick Porter to transfer his repo so that I can maintain it?  Or should I create a pull request against SDL-Community to add support for 2014?  I assumed  (maybe incorrectly) that SDL was not interested in supporting plugins for legacy versions of Trados.

ok - if you want the latest version of the code then you should take the code from the SDL repository as this fixes a number of things.  But then I think you should maintain anything you do for 2011 or 2014 on your own site and if you want to put it on the appstore you can do this too.  But we won't be interested in maintaining the code for older versions at all.

Unknown said:
     There I was able to see links to documentation in a zip file for Trados Studio 2011 and 2014, but I was wondering if there was an online version for these legacy SDKs like there is for 2017

No there isn't.  We only maintain the latest version online.

Regards

Paul

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

• Great info, thanks Paul. I was able to successfully fork and modify the old library to work, but I will try to fork the SDL library so that I can at least get the latest (and future) fixes. I imagine I will have to downgrade some of the code to older version of .NET.

Very helpful, thanks.