Not Considering

Add ability to download just one language delivery at a time, from Language Cloud

Issue: Now that I can get notifications of delivery when one language in a project is complete, I can go and download the first language delivery when it's ready. For every language that is ready after that, I cannot download just the one language and must re-download all the language deliveries in LC.

Suggestion: Allow a user to download all languages or select individual language deliveries to download from the Language Cloud portal.

• Ian,

When project deliverable files are large (as in nearly 500MB for one IFU in a given language for some of my products) having the ability to download individual languages is virtually a must. In the current scenario I get a French delivery and I download the 500MB file then I get German and when I download I not only get the German 500 MB file BUT I also get the 500MB French file again and I have no need for it. Unless the connection is lightning fast, this download will take for ever.

I am working on minimizing IFU file sizes going forward but with some of these older IFUs, we're stuck with these enormous files until the product is obsoleted.

If there is anything I can do to help please let me know.

--TIM PAIVA

• Hi Jacqueline,

I can understand the inconvenience of having to wait to download languages that had previously been received - this makes sense. Can you please help clarify the following comment?

"possibility of having revision issues when of introducing additional previously downloaded language files into the mix."

Regardless, I will discuss this with the UX team to investigate how we might implement a language selection mechanism when download translated files through ManTra.

Per the earlier question on this idea, would Philips only be looking to download individual languages, or do they also need to specify which file(s) for which languages(s) they want to download?

Cheers,

Ian

• Hi Ian,

we received further feedback on this request from Philips to which downloading individual languages would be crucial:

Tim Paiva (Philips US): " ... as an end user this is not an optimal solution. When we go live, the “real files” I will be downloading are very large (200+ MB) per language. If my project consists of 20+ languages broken up into batches of four or five, I should only download only the languages in the batch that I am receiving. For example: If French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese and German are in the first delivery, I download those by themselves. This is fine.

But when batch 2 which has Russian, Japanese and three other languages ready, my download should just have the five languages that just became available and not include the five languages from the first delivery. ... Show-stopper? Possibly..simply because of the size and duration of downloading the .zip files and the possibility of having revision issues when of introducing additional previously downloaded language files into the mix."

Thanks,

Jacqueline

• Hi Rebecca,

We received a similar request via the forum from Jakub Szczepaniak to allow users to download individual files; not only all files for the selected language. I would therefore suggest we take your idea a step further and look to allow users to download individual files, files for selected languages, or all files for a project.

I'll move the idea to 'under consideration' and review this with our User Experience team to see how we might implement such functionality in SDL Managed Translation.

Cheers,

Ian