Copy Paste external text into XPP

When copying an item inside of an XPP division, via (c)Copy or ctrl-C...it appears the clipboard internally works.

If you go to an external text source <copy> and then attempt to paste into the XPP division it does not use the external copy, it maintained the previous clipboard from inside XPP. 

If you exit the XPP division and reenter, the XPP clipboard has been cleared.   You are then able to go to an external text source copy and then paste into the XPP division.

In the images below as a test we copied the "motion for special" line in XPP and pasted.  We then copied the "Peter Piper..." para and tried to paste.  It repasted the "motion for special" .  We then exited the division and again copied the "Peter Piper..." para and it pasted into the division.

Once a internal XPP text item is copied it seems the clipboard is locked and will not accept and EXTERNAL copy into the clipboard.

Screenshot of Trados Studio showing the 'motion for special' line copied within XPP division.

We are using:

-ksh>>: xppversion
XPP 9.4.1.0

Operating System: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 7.9 (Maipo)

We use Exceed as our X11 server.

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 5:25 AM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
emoji
Parents
  • Hi John,

Just to let you know I did try to reproduce the problem, but at least today everything in my testing worked fine.

Of course, I may not (or do not) have the exact same scenario as you have.

Here is what I did for a test.

I'm using Exceed version 15.0.0.175, with all the documented settings for X Selection (same as you).

I have a Remote Desktop session, within which I have Exceed running. In that same RD session I’m logged in (via an xterm window) to a RHEL 7.9 system.

I run the xyview on that Linux system. I do a Copy within the xyview.

Then back directly on my laptop I open a file in Notepad++ (my “external source”).

In Notepad++ I do a Paste and I get the text I Copy'd from the xyview. I then select other text in Notepad++ and do a Copy.

I went back to my still running (Linux) xyview and did a Paste, and I did get the text Copy’d from Notepad++.

I do also have Exceed on my laptop (same version and same settings). So, to eliminate RD from the mix I started Exceed on my laptop and started an xterm window to login to a RHEL 7.9 system.

From local Exceed>xterm started a xyview and then performed the same Copy and Paste testing with Notepad++. The Copy from Notepad++ Paste'd fine back into the xyview.

So, I'm not seeing the problem you are describing - at least not today and with my limited testing.

Only other things I have running on my laptop are Outlook (email), Teams, Edge, Windows Explorer, Notepad++, and Remote Desktop (and Exceed when I started it to run the test w/o RD involved). Only things I have running in my RD session are Windows Explorer, Exceed, xterm, and dtterm.

But as I said before, in the past there have been times when I think I've seen something similar happen that you have described.

As I also said, I’m typically using Remote Desktop and there have been times when I’ve had to kill and restart the (Windows) rdpclip.exe process in my RD session to get “clipboard” things to function properly again between XPP in the RD and non-XPP apps running on my laptop.

This really should continue now within the ticket that you've opened with support. We don't really want to bore everyone else with all these details.  Slight smile

I would ask that you respond now in the ticket with anything else you can point out that might be different in your scenario than what I tested that might be a factor?

Things like having multiple instances of the xyview and if so how you are interacting with them and the non-XPP app? Using Citrix (which I mention because in your last post you did make a reference to "citrix")? Etc.

• Hi John,

Just to let you know I did try to reproduce the problem, but at least today everything in my testing worked fine.

Of course, I may not (or do not) have the exact same scenario as you have.

Here is what I did for a test.

I'm using Exceed version 15.0.0.175, with all the documented settings for X Selection (same as you).

I have a Remote Desktop session, within which I have Exceed running. In that same RD session I’m logged in (via an xterm window) to a RHEL 7.9 system.

I run the xyview on that Linux system. I do a Copy within the xyview.

Then back directly on my laptop I open a file in Notepad++ (my “external source”).

In Notepad++ I do a Paste and I get the text I Copy'd from the xyview. I then select other text in Notepad++ and do a Copy.

I went back to my still running (Linux) xyview and did a Paste, and I did get the text Copy’d from Notepad++.

I do also have Exceed on my laptop (same version and same settings). So, to eliminate RD from the mix I started Exceed on my laptop and started an xterm window to login to a RHEL 7.9 system.

From local Exceed>xterm started a xyview and then performed the same Copy and Paste testing with Notepad++. The Copy from Notepad++ Paste'd fine back into the xyview.

So, I'm not seeing the problem you are describing - at least not today and with my limited testing.

Only other things I have running on my laptop are Outlook (email), Teams, Edge, Windows Explorer, Notepad++, and Remote Desktop (and Exceed when I started it to run the test w/o RD involved). Only things I have running in my RD session are Windows Explorer, Exceed, xterm, and dtterm.

But as I said before, in the past there have been times when I think I've seen something similar happen that you have described.

As I also said, I’m typically using Remote Desktop and there have been times when I’ve had to kill and restart the (Windows) rdpclip.exe process in my RD session to get “clipboard” things to function properly again between XPP in the RD and non-XPP apps running on my laptop.

This really should continue now within the ticket that you've opened with support. We don't really want to bore everyone else with all these details.  Slight smile

I would ask that you respond now in the ticket with anything else you can point out that might be different in your scenario than what I tested that might be a factor?

Things like having multiple instances of the xyview and if so how you are interacting with them and the non-XPP app? Using Citrix (which I mention because in your last post you did make a reference to "citrix")? Etc.

Children
No Data