What's the difference between balancing columns and aligning them?

We're currently on XPP 8.4.

Chapter 11 of styles.pdf contains a very detailed explanation of how the "Balance/Align Columns" setting affects the composition process, but I'm having a hard time understanding what the difference is at a high level. I have a two-column layout. I tried experimenting with my Pagination Style changing between "align" and "balance", and the output seems to be the same. On pages that are not completely filled, text is evenly distributed between the two columns. Why might someone use "align" instead of "balance"? Are there specific scenarios where one is more appropriate than the other?

On a related note, the description for "align" says:

Fills all columns equally, aligning the baselines of subsequent
columns with that of the shortened depth of the first column.

I'm familiar with the term "baseline" as it applies to a single line of text. What is the baseline of a column?

Parents
  • Cheran, very interesting question.

Now I could be wrong but the way I have understood the difference is that the difference lays in the way the system decides on how to create columns of equal length. When you use balance the system will do several tries in order to find the best 'balanced' look in order to avoid columns that looks really squeezed next to columns that have a lot of air (white space) in them. It will try to find a way to distribute the text in the columns so that white space between columns is similar in all the columns.
    The align possibility will go for a more crude way, just making sure that columns are of equal length.

Note however that the system will always try to fill out the columns completely as it tries to put as much text as possible on a page.
    So when you VJ settings are rather generous in most cases it will be able to fill out the columns to the complete length of the page and for those pages the balanced/align/no setting will not make any difference, since the system was able to fill the complete columns without violating the VJ rules you gave it.
    I don't even think that in those cases the system will try to balance columns in order to get a more even look.

But I leave it up to engineering to gives us the final answer on all of this.
  • Cheran, very interesting question.

Now I could be wrong but the way I have understood the difference is that the difference lays in the way the system decides on how to create columns of equal length. When you use balance the system will do several tries in order to find the best 'balanced' look in order to avoid columns that looks really squeezed next to columns that have a lot of air (white space) in them. It will try to find a way to distribute the text in the columns so that white space between columns is similar in all the columns.
    The align possibility will go for a more crude way, just making sure that columns are of equal length.

Note however that the system will always try to fill out the columns completely as it tries to put as much text as possible on a page.
    So when you VJ settings are rather generous in most cases it will be able to fill out the columns to the complete length of the page and for those pages the balanced/align/no setting will not make any difference, since the system was able to fill the complete columns without violating the VJ rules you gave it.
    I don't even think that in those cases the system will try to balance columns in order to get a more even look.

But I leave it up to engineering to gives us the final answer on all of this.
Children
No Data