Has anyone used XPP for non-english (eg. CJK) & What was your experience like?

Hi I am new to this community. Got started thanks to the excellent XPP course @ SDL University. (not to promote or anything)

I have tried printing in Korean and was wondering if anyone has experience in publishing other languages.

Parents
  • I worked with one XPP site that had "problems" with CJK documents and line-breaking. This wasn't a bug as such, but the logic of hyphenation doesn't really apply with CJK, but they did have rules that certain characters had to stay on a line or be broken to a new line, taking its preceding character with it, plus several other rules. None of which were achievable using XPP's usual toolbox.

The (XML) data was processed up front to insert keep and break macros according to those rules. Otherwise, as others have stated, getting the unicode and fonts set up is most important.

• I worked with one XPP site that had "problems" with CJK documents and line-breaking. This wasn't a bug as such, but the logic of hyphenation doesn't really apply with CJK, but they did have rules that certain characters had to stay on a line or be broken to a new line, taking its preceding character with it, plus several other rules. None of which were achievable using XPP's usual toolbox.

The (XML) data was processed up front to insert keep and break macros according to those rules. Otherwise, as others have stated, getting the unicode and fonts set up is most important.

Children
  • Hello Mark,

For XPP to work with CJK document proper, the system requires Asian Language H&J algorithms license.

As all CJK characters are generated in mono space, so for setting the Chinese paragraph, you need to apply this H&J rule so that XPP can justify the line accordingly. For bilingual document, the English H&J and Asian Language H&J would have to switch between the language of the text.

Also, you need to set up the H&J spec that containing rules to avoid the CJK punctuation characters appearing at the beginning of the line, but some of the punctuation characters, like "(", "[" are allowed.

Hope all above helps.