Using existing termbases and TMs online in sync

I struggled to create online a first online Trados 2021 project and when done (I was surprised to have to assign customers to get all elements created linked to one customer, like language processing rule, file type configurations, translations engines, translations memories and terminology as it is going to be very quickly a maze of configuration files impossible to manage?) I could quite nicely Open the created project in Online Editor or Open in Studio from the Inbox.

What is totally missing is the same mechanism being applied to the TMs and to the Termbases, as you need to get them updated in sync regardless of the fact you are working in Online Editor or in Studio.

If this sync mechanism between TMs and to the Termbases does not exist, the Online Editor feature is absolutely useless.

Other comments

1) I could not figure out how to add a new term in the online termbase.
You cannot select a source term and a target term and hit Ctrl+F2 to get the Termbase Viewer and the Termbase Definition is nowhere to be seen.

2) I could not find a way to get Show Whitespace characters working meaningfully instead of appearing randomly in the first line of each segments mixed up with the text (Firefox browser).

3) Could not succeed in selecting 2 segments to merge.

4) What should be possible is to create a project in Studio and then, to be able to Open it in the Online Editor.

This editor is probably a work in progress far away to be useful and workable compared to working within Trados.

• No, if you click on the "Show Lookups Panel" then you'll see all the results from the resources you are using in your project:

Trados Studio Lookups panel showing a translation memory match with a green checkmark indicating a 100% match, but the 'Apply Translation' button is not highlighted.

If the results don't get populated into the target automatically you can double click the one you want, or use "Apply Translation" from the ribbon:

Trados Studio ribbon with 'Apply Translation' button greyed out and not clickable, indicating it is unavailable for use.

So no need to wait for these things as they are already here :-)

Sorry, this part does not work in my setup. I could show the Lookup Panel and could see the imported TM displays what I wanted to get from the TM, but the double click did not work and the "Apply Translation" was not available.

Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V are also not activated in the browser and I could not get to replace the bad automatic translation in the target by the right translation from my imported TM.

See below (I have to blurry the image as it was an actual piece of work)

work Blurred screenshot of Trados Studio workspace with the Lookups panel open on the right side, unable to apply translation from the translation memory.

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 6:35 AM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
  • So many different issues in this one thread.  If you have more please can you create separate threads as it's getting impossible to track and will be next to useless for others who are searching for an answer to one of the things you have also raised.

On the whitespace issue... this is now logged with development under our code CRQ-20662 for your reference.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

• Sure, I will. I need to let you know that in another trail, I could have the Apply Translation activated.

I will close that thread with the whitespace issue...if you could add that to it.

In Studio, it does not add a red dot in between each words and it is used to check if ONLY hard breaking spaces are there, as it is very important in French.

Online is different and is making the entire text too much longer, when only seeing hard breaking spaces matter.