What is the cause of this error? "Failed to add [filename] to the project. The process cannot access the file [filename] because it is being used by another process."

I cannot add files to my translation projects (both in Studio 2021 and Studio 2022), regardless of the type of file: txt, xlsx, docx, etc.

Those files are saved AND closed. Therefore they are not "being used".

As far as I have researched and tested this issue has nothing to do with the Antivirus program or with the Windows 10 (or 11) feature called "controlled folder access".

Any suggestions? Thank you.

Error dialog box from Trados Studio stating 'Failed to add filename.txt to the project. The process cannot access the file filename.txt because it is being used by another process.' with OK and Cancel buttons.

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 3:39 PM (GMT 1) on 7 May 2024]
emoji
Parents
  • Hello,

I understand that you're having trouble adding files to your translation projects in Trados Studio 2021 and 2022. The error message you're seeing typically indicates that the file is open or being used by another process, even if it doesn't appear to be.

Here are a few steps you can try to resolve this issue:

Step 1: Restart your computer. This can often free up any files that may be locked by system processes.

Step 2: Check if the files are stored in a location that Trados Studio can access. If the files are on a network drive, try moving them to your local drive.

Step 3: Make sure the files are not set to 'Read Only'. You can check this by right-clicking on the file, selecting 'Properties', and ensuring the 'Read Only' box is not checked.

Step 4: Try creating a new project and adding the files there. This can help determine if the issue is with a specific project or with the files themselves.

Step 5: If none of the above steps work, you may want to consider the possibility that a security or antivirus program is causing the issue. Even though you've mentioned that you don't believe this is the case, it might be worth revisiting. You can try temporarily disabling your security software to see if the issue persists. If this resolves the issue, you can add Trados Studio to the list of exceptions in your security software.

Please remember to re-enable your security software after testing. If you're unsure how to do this, you should contact the manufacturer of your security software.

I hope these steps help you resolve the issue. If you continue to experience problems, please let us know.

Best regards,

TradosAI

emoji
  • Solved!

I decided to give it a try to the Step 4, once more, suggested by Trados AI. That is, I recreated the project and added the files and it worked (!), which is good news but recreating a project when it consists of a number of files and settings is definitely a total waste of time and a decrease in productivity.

I remember now that I've been through this same process on previous occasions.  It stands to reason that if with the previous Studio project I could not add files (the gist of this post) and then I could add exactly the same files in a new project (with same settings) I would think that the project file (with extension .sdlproj) which is an XML, may be the culprit. In this respect, I would think that there should be a tool to check any inconsistencies of this and any other .sdlproj file.

I would also think that this error message may be a false positive. In other words, it has nothing to do with a file "being used by another process." Remember that messages like this one are always written by programmers, so a programmer should review the source code of the application where this message is triggered and see what triggered it.

emoji
  • Solved!

I decided to give it a try to the Step 4, once more, suggested by Trados AI. That is, I recreated the project and added the files and it worked (!), which is good news but recreating a project when it consists of a number of files and settings is definitely a total waste of time and a decrease in productivity.

I remember now that I've been through this same process on previous occasions.  It stands to reason that if with the previous Studio project I could not add files (the gist of this post) and then I could add exactly the same files in a new project (with same settings) I would think that the project file (with extension .sdlproj) which is an XML, may be the culprit. In this respect, I would think that there should be a tool to check any inconsistencies of this and any other .sdlproj file.

I would also think that this error message may be a false positive. In other words, it has nothing to do with a file "being used by another process." Remember that messages like this one are always written by programmers, so a programmer should review the source code of the application where this message is triggered and see what triggered it.

emoji
Children
No Data