Working with language flavours

So I'm a bit stumped as to how to even go about this. Say I want to translate the same document into nl-NL and nl-BE.

With an nl-NL translation existing in the (multilingual) WorldServer TM, I tried to connect the nl-BE project in Studio directly to the WorldServer TM using AnyTM. Now while it does let me connect, it doesn't actually pick up the existing translation. Also, in the 'Languages' column where AnyTM would usually indicate multiple language pairs it says 'n/a'.

While there are certainly ways to juggle both language variants when both are requested at the same time, in reality these requests may come months apart and the people involved may have no knowledge of the same text existing in a related locale.

Checking the TM manually every time someone requests a language that has multiple variants configured doesn't seem like a viable solution.

Can anyone point me in a good direction here or would anyone be willing to share some best-practice experience?

Thanks!
Stephan

• If I understand you correctly, you are not able to leverage from the nl-NL TM when you create a nl-BE project. This depends on your WorldServer Locale and TM setup.

Typically, if one would like to be able to leverage translation between language variance within WorldServer, you will need to setup both locales with the same Language base when you setup the Locale in WorldServer. For example,

Screenshot showing Trados Studio WorldServer Locale setup with 'nl-NL' and 'nl-BE' listed as separate locales.

If the language is different, you will not be able to leverage between them as WorldServer believes that they are different locales altogether.

You can also setup separate TMs for each and apply penalty value against the variance but that depends on your preference. Hope this helps.

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 3:39 AM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]