Why can't I create a project with sdlxliff files?

I just found out that I can't create a project with sdlxliff files. Each time I try to upload them, I get a following message: "The file type is not supported. Upload another file."

Top Replies

Parents
  • SDLXLIFF, and also SDLPPX, are not supported in Trados Live yet.  It is obviously a priority for us, and will be added in due course.  It's in the release notes:

docs.sdl.com/.../sdl-trados-studio-release-notes-july-2020

• Is there any news on this issue? To be able to finally use an online editor and the SDL Live App was one of the main selling points for me to upgrade to Studio 2021. I mainly work with projects prepared by SDL network offices and cannot make use of the new functionality. If you could speed up the adding of this function, it would be highly appreciated. 

• Have you tried it?  It's been possible for a while now.

• Not yet because I had no idea that this was fixed! So what you are saying is that I can now work on pre-translated project packages which I receive from SDL Network Offices for translation/review? But how would I go about it to open these packages in the cloud? Can you point me in the right direction? Are there online instructions available? Your help would be very much appreciated!

• Not the packages... although that should come soon I think.  So your process would have to be this:

1. open the package in Studio to create your project
    2. create a new cloud project using the sdlxliff files from the target language folder of the project in 1.  You can create the project in the cloud environment or via Studio.
    3. once the project is complete you download the translated/reviewed sdlxliff files and replace the ones in the first project from the package with these
    4. create your return package

But in all honesty, based on this:

project packages which I receive from SDL Network Offices for translation/review

It would be far easier if the SDL Network Offices created the projects in the cloud to begin with and then you wouldn't have to do any of this.

What's your usecase for wanting to do this in the cloud yourself?  Just interested.

• Wow! Thanks a lot for staying up so late to answer my questions so much in-depth! 

I will get in touch with my contacts at the network office and see if they can change to creating the projects right away in the cloud. As you say, that would be the easiest. 

What I was looking forward to with the online editor is being kind of independent from Windows (which I run on a Mac with Parallels), since I used to work quite frequently on the go with my laptop pre-COVID and having better and sharper graphics on my Mac is just more rewarding.

Again, thanks a lot for your time! I really enjoyed your sessions during the last 3 days at the Virtual Roadshow. I picked up lots!

• I hope that works for you.  I know the SDL teams are very careful with rolling out the new solutions so they might not be ready for this yet, but once they are it will be the best solution for you.

Again, thanks a lot for your time! I really enjoyed your sessions during the last 3 days at the Virtual Roadshow. I picked up lots!

Really happy to hear that!  Thank you.

• I'm afraid I owe you an apology.  I seem to have tested the creation of projects using SDLXLIFF files somehow and had it working, but that functionality has definitely been removed while the development team ensure the solution is robust.  So there is still no workaround for this yet.  I believe it will be available in the coming weeks, certainly before the end of the year.  But for now, the only solution is to have the original source files and create the projects in the cloud to start with.

• No apology needed! It would have been too good to be true. I'll practise patience and wait for the development team to come up with a robust solution which is in all of our interest. And if we'll have it before the end of the year, even better!

Reply Children
No Data